Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Summer Strawberry Pie

I often forget how much I like strawberries. They are a staple on every fruit tray. Sometimes I pick them up, other times I ignore them. However, they are pretty darn hard to resist in the summer when they are in season. The sweet, yet tart taste is like a guilt free candy. Once I start eating them, it's pretty hard to stop.

I make a few different strawberry desserts, but this year I wanted to try to make a pie. I'd never made a pie before. I'm not sure why, they just looked like they'd be hard, and honestly, slicing fruit is not one of my favorite things. Basically anything that involves a lot of slicing or chopping, I tend to avoid. However, this was pretty darn easy!! I won't lie though, I used a frozen Pilsbury pie crust. They taste good and are easy. Win/Win!

I got this recipe from the since retired from food blogging Emily of Cast Sugar. She's still keeping her website alive for all us fans, so check her out!


Strawberry Pie


1 9in deep dish pie shell - baked and cooked
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 cups cold water
1 (3 oz) pack of strawberry gelatin
1 quart of strawberries

Combine sugar, cornstarch and water in medium saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil while stirring. Boil off until mixture is clear and thick.
Add jello and stir to dissolve.
Set aside to cool for 15-20 minutes
Add sliced strawberries to jello mixture.
Pour in pie shell and cool at least 4 hours in fridge.

Slice and serve with a big ol' dollop of whipped cream.


I used slightly less cornstarch this time. I made this earlier in the summer too and my cornstarch lumped up, so I cut it back to about 4 Tbsp and it turned out perfect this time. Zach says it's really good, so it must be a winner! Oh, I also used sugar free jello and it tasted just fine!

Happy Summertime!

Sorry my pictures aren't the best. I'm not so good at the food photography thing just yet. I think I need a much better camera and lighting situation. I'll work on that.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Greenwood, Missouri, United States

Followers