Monday, January 4, 2010

Cinnamon Bread - Take 1

**Edit: Might be helpful if I give you the baking directions. Ha!

Cinnamon Bread Take 1 close up
I'm a sucker for Cinnamon Bread. Ever since I was in college at Northwest. Nothing could make my day better than a quick trip over to Java City for a cup of steaming hot chocolate and a slice of their cinnamon bread. I'm not quite sure what it was about it, but it was delicious.

I've now decided that I will find the perfect cinnamon bread recipe. I was shocked to find though my quick google search that not many exist. Definitely nothing that resembled my college treat! So, I will just have to invent it on my own.

First up I found a recipe on Cooks.com. I didn't have all the ingredients it called for and there were a few that I wanted to tweak, so I'm considering this recipe my own!

Cinnamon Bread
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Strudel Topping:
4 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp butter

Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat for around 3 minutes. Pour into greased loaf pan. Combine strudel topping and sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.

cinnamon bread take 1 up top

I'm not sure what I do wrong, but I cannot for the life of me make a strudel topping. It always turns out to be more of a paste like consistency. I use cold butter, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Any tips?

I also tried to get the perfect cinnamon swirl through the middle, but as you can see, that didn't quite work out either.

cinnamon bread take 1 inside loaf

The bread did taste really good though. However, it could be better. Stay tuned for the next try!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Crumb topping hint (assuming that the texture you're going for is that yummy crumbly thing like on good cafe muffins): try a little white or whole wheat flour. The sugar and butter just melt together but the flour will give it a little bit of body and it will stay crumb-y.

Stephanie said...

Ah-ha! Flour! I will definitely try that next time, I have some whole wheat flour too, that might be really good! Thanks, Erin!

About Me

My photo
Greenwood, Missouri, United States

Followers