Saturday, June 12, 2010

Candy Bars



I was told to bring some bar cookies to my moms party last weekend. Instead of just finding a recipe that I'd made before, I set out to find a new one!  I knew that I'd be able to find something for sure over at Sugar Plum's blog. She's super cute and from Missouri too! These imediately caught my attention. I love candy! I love chocolate! I love bar cookies! These were it!

Too bad these took me 3.5 trips to the store because I kept forgetting ingredients. Note to self: do not buy mass amounts of candy bars at the gas station. Wow! Expensive.

Here's the recipe from Sugar Plums blog.

Candy Compost Bars
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus an additional 1/2 teaspoon
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus 2 tablespoons
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips, melted, plus an additional 1/4 cup, melted
1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts
1/2 cup finely chopped mini candy bars (such as Snickers)
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
2/3 cup peanut butter chips
4 cups popped popcorn
1/2 cup finely chopped mini candy bars (such as Twix)
1/2 cup M&M's

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter bottom and sides of a 13x9-inch baking dish and line with foil; butter foil.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt; whisk in oats until combined.  In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat together 1/2 cup butter and sugar until creamy, about 1 minute.  Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.  Beat in 3/4 cup melted chocolate until combined.  Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually beat in flour mixture until combined; beat in peanuts and candy bar until combined.  Dump the batter into the prepared dish and flatten evenly into one layer.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set and golden brown around edges.

To make the popcorn layer, melt the additional 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; stir in peanut butter, corn syrup, and additional 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bring mixture to a simmer.  Remove pan from heat and stir in peanut butter chips until melted; stir in popcorn until well combined, followed by chopped candy bar.  Spread and pack popcorn over chocolate cookie layer.

Pipe or drizzle remaining melted chocolate on top of bars, then sprinkle and press M&M's into the surface.  Cool completely before slicing into bars.


Now, I "finely chopped" the candy bars in my food processor. That probably wasn't the best idea because it completely demolished the candy bars and I would have preferred some larger chunks.  Overall I think the bars were really good! I'd almost rather have marshmallows instead of the popcorn, but ah well.I'm pretty sure they were a hit at the party, but really, nothing can compete with my mom's Italian cookies.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Greenwood, Missouri, United States

Followers