Sunday, December 21, 2008

Brown Sugar Cookies

So I think I'm finally done making cookies now. I've made 6 different varieties of cookies this year. That's for sure a record for me. I think last year I made 3. I'm pretty much cookied out. These were a last minute add because I realized that I had to give cookies to 3 more families than originally planned and I didn't want to run out. I had all the ingredients for these Brown Sugar Cookies at home and they seemed pretty simple, plus I love brown sugar, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. They were easy and are quite tasty!




Brown Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter; softened
1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Decorator sugar crystals

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
Gradually add brown sugar, beating well.
Add egg and vanilla, beating well.
Combine flour, soda and salt; add to butter mixture, beating just until blended.
Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness between 2 sheets of waxed paper (this wasn't working too well so I abandoned ship and just left the dough in the bowl)
Cut with 4-inch cookie cutters (couldn't get the dough to cut right so I rolled dough into quarter sized balls and flattened with my hand)
Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets (I greased mine).
Sprinkle cookies with decorator sugar crystals.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
Let cool for 1 minute on baking sheet then remove to wire cooling racks
Yield: about 2 1/2 dozen. Mine made about twice that but I made small cookies.

They taste similar to a chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate, just a bit more caramelly- Very tasty. They are also on the crisp side, but I lik that too. Zach said they remind him of his moms caramel rolls in cookie form. He kept trying to steal some away, so that's always a good sign!

Happy eating!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Greenwood, Missouri, United States

Followers