Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Alarm Ghost

Oof. It's been one of those days.

It all started at 4:56 am when my cell phone rang. I thought it was just my alarm going off early (wouldn't surprise me, the thing didn't even go off 3 days last week!), but no. It was our security alarm company calling to let me know that a "medical emergency" had been reported from our house and they had dispatched the fire department and paramedics. WHAT!?

A quick glance around and I see that Zach is sound asleep right next to me and both dogs are on the floor. So unless George The Cat has figured out how to press and hold the medical alert button on our alarm system (4 ft off the ground) it was some sort of mistake (or our lovely alarm ghost is back). He asked if I wanted the paramedics to be called off and I think my response was "Oh God, YES!" all the while I'm elbowing Zach to wake up. He PUTS ME ON HOLD and then comes back to tell me he can't call them off, they are on their way. I finally get Zach out of bed and he has no clue what's going on. It's like waking the dead when I try to tell him things in the middle of the night. I think he finally got it when I said "THE FIRE DEPARTMENT IS AT OUR HOUSE" I was afraid they'd start tearing down our door! Finally he makes it out to the front of the house just as the fire trucks and ambulance are rolling down our street, lights blazing!

I stay holed up in our room with the dogs. Ted is going bananas trying to get out and barking his head off (good dog!) but Missy just takes the opportunity to steal Zach's warm spot on the bed and curls up to go back to sleep! Ha! After Zach assures the paramedics that nobody is indeed dying, he comes back to bed. Since I normally get up at 5:10, I just got up anyway. I go to let the dogs out and then I hear a knock, knock, knock on our door and see lights flashing in. Awesome. The police are here! I think the officer was more confused than I was. Oh, the joys of small town living. He said 'sorry for the mis-communication' and went on his way. What a fun way to wake up! Ugh! It messed up my whole day! I just felt off all day. Zach called the alarm company and apparently they did some test a WEEK or so ago and it just now fired the alarm. What?! This has happened before too (a few times!!!). We are giving them yet another shot, but if we get a false alarm ONE MORE TIME, it's over. Ted will just have to be our alarm system, and I think he'd do a fine job. The only reason we have it right now is if there's a fire or something while we are gone. Ted's a good watch dog, but I don't think he can put out fires. We love our animals too much to risk that kind of thing.

So then, of course, work was a total headache.

And now, as I was talking to Zach on my cell phone it just up and shuts off. Goes black. Nothing. Nada. It won't turn back on. I tried a million times then plugged it in the charger. Still nothing. Not even the charging light. It's done for. GREAT! I have no idea what I'm going to do without my phone. It is basically my right arm! It's even my alarm clock! UGH!!! What crap!

Today was stupid!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Greenwood, Missouri, United States

Followers