Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lean 'N Green Chili

I got this recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Cast Sugar, You should check Emily out, she's fantastic. A few people I know had made it and raved about it, so I thought I'd give it a shot! It didn't disappoint!


Lean 'N Green Chili
Ingredients:
8 6-in. corn tortillas, divided
2 tsp. vegetable oil, dived
1 c. chopped Poblano Chile peppers (or green bell peppers)
1/2 c. chopped onion (naturally, I leave this out. Yick!)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ¾-in. pieces
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 cans (14.5 oz.) 99% fat free chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/4 c. salsa verde (or 1 can green Chile enchilada sauce)
3-4 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut four of the tortillas in half and stack them one on top of another. Cut the tortillas into ½ inch strips. Place in bowl and toss with 1 tsp of the oil. Spread in a single layer in a baking pan. Bake 10 – 12 min or until crisp, stirring once. Remove from oven.

Chop Chile peppers and onion. Cut chicken into ¾ inch pieces; toss with cumin in small bowl. Fold one tortilla to fit into a food processor coarsely grate. Repeat with remaining 3 tortillas. Set aside.

Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in large pot over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 5 min. Remove chicken from casserole; and Chile peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir 3 min. Stir in chicken, broth, beans, salsa and grated tortillas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 min.

Stir cilantro into chili. Ladle soup into bowls; top with baked tortilla strips.


This was really easy to make and is super hearty. A perfect meal for a cold winter night. PLUS it only has about 250 calories per serving! Seriously, it doesn't get much better than that! Zach and I actually fight over the leftovers. I think the homemade tortilla strips really make it. And of course, I always top my chili with a little cheddar cheese. Yum, Yum, Yum!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Nice to see this is making the rounds!

About Me

My photo
Greenwood, Missouri, United States

Followers