Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Mallow Bars



How's that for a lot of stuff!

This recipe was on the cover of a recent issue of Kraft Food and Family Magazine. My favorite! I've made quite a few things out of it and they are usually really easy and tasty! The second I saw the oooie goooie bars on the cover I knew I'd be making them at some point.

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Mallow Bars
from Kraft Food and Family Magazine
1 pkg devil's food cake mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2/3 cup cold milk, divided
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 jar (7 oz) Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
1/2 cup salted peanuts
6 squares semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used chocolate chips instead)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix dry cake mix, butter and 1/3 cup mil until blended
Press two thirds onto bottom of 13x9 inch pan
Bake 12-145 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool 3 minutes.
Mix peanut butter and remaining mil; spread onto crust. (this part was difficult, I felt like I didn't have enough peanut butter, I might make more next time)
Top with spoonfuls of marshmallow creme and remaining cake mixture.
Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate; press gently into cake mixture
Bake 18 minutes or just until center is set. Cool before cutting into bars.

Ok, it is very, VERY rare that you will hear me say this about a dessert, but.... I really didn't like them. I KNOW! What's not to love.... chocolate, peanut butter, marshmallow fluff!!! I love it all. But for some reason these bars just didn't do it for me. I think there was simply too much going on. I also think I would have prefered a brownie base. The cake tasted strange to me. However, Zach thinks they are awesome, so maybe it's just me. Try for yourself and see!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Greenwood, Missouri, United States

Followers